A classic Hollywood movie musical is reviving the romantic appeal of KauaiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s beautiful beaches and lush flora for a new generation of fans. South Pacific, the box-office blockbuster about forbidden love in the tropics during World War II, was recently re-released on Blu-ray Disc by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment to commemorate the movieÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 50th anniversary.
Most of the filming for South Pacific took place in 1957-58 on KauaiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s idyllic north shore,
an area renowned for its breathtaking coastlines, flourishing green fields, and picturesque
waterfalls. The location was a popular choice with the filmÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s crew and Director Joshua Logan noted at the time, Ã¢â‚¬Å“Kauai is a place that will enchant movie audiences, giving reality instead of stage illusion.Ã¢â‚¬Â
Sue Kanoho, executive director of the Kauai Visitors Bureau, said an enduring attribute
of KauaiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s north shore is that it remains largely unchanged five decades later. Ã¢â‚¬Å“KauaiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s allure and spectacular natural beauty helped tell the story of South Pacific. Travelers coming here today will enjoy many of those same qualities,Ã¢â‚¬Â said Kanoho.
Kanoho added that visitors will recognize many of the sights and landmarks used for
South PacificÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s signature moments, especially those captured in song.
- Mount MakanaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s towering twin peaks in HÃ„ÂÃ¢â‚¬Ëœena were the inspiration for the mystical Ã¢â‚¬Å“island of Bali Hai.Ã¢â‚¬Â
- Nellie Forbush (Mitzi Gaynor) was romanced by Emile de Becque (Rossano Brazzi) singing the ballad Ã¢â‚¬Å“Some Enchanted EveningÃ¢â‚¬Â atop a garden-like plateau overlooking Princeville, now home to a popular resort area.
- Nellie sang Ã¢â‚¬Å“IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My HairÃ¢â‚¬Â at LumahaÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi Beach, a crescent-shaped beach known for the many native hala trees on the beachÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s edge.
- The song Ã¢â‚¬Å“Nothing Like a DameÃ¢â‚¬Â took place at Hanalei Bay, a perfectly curved bay featuring historic Hanalei Pier, crystal blue waters, and one of HawaiiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s most famous surfing spots.
- The ever-charming Bloody Mary (Juanita Hall) sang Ã¢â‚¬Å“Happy TalkÃ¢â‚¬Â on the banks of the KÃ„Â«lauea River amid the fertile vegetation that is the Garden IsleÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s trademark.
Kanoho noted, Ã¢â‚¬Å“South Pacific helped put Kauai on the map for travelers and our island is
as lovely and inviting today as it was 50 years ago.Ã¢â‚¬Â